The Gilroy Museum is housed in the historic 1910 Carnegie Library Building, the
result of a $10,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie. The classic revival style building
was designed by well-known California architect William H. Weeks and stands on a
former tennis court, the gift of local benefactress Caroline A. Hoxett. The Gilroy
Public Library opened on July 27, 1910, and remained there until 1975, when it
moved to its current location at Sixth and Rosanna Streets.
In the mid-1950's, the large dirt-floor room in the basement of the Carnegie
Library was remodeled as a community room. It was this room that saw the birth
of the Gilroy Museum. Armand White, a member of one of Gilroy's pioneer
families and a local history buff, began displaying his collections of
memorabilia and historical items here in 1958.
In 1963, the City of Gilroy formally established the Gilroy Museum in the
basement of the Carnegie Library Building with Mr. White as its first
curator. Since the Gilroy Library moved to its larger quarters, the Museum
has had use of the entire building for its collection which consists of over
25,000 items relating to the history of Gilroy and the South Santa Clara
Admission to the Museum is FREE!
195 Fifth Street
Gilroy, CA 95020
The Museum is staffed on a voluntary basis by members of the Gilroy Historical Society
Days/Hours of operation:
Join members of the Gilroy Historical Society as they guide you on FREE Walking
Tours through Gilroy's historic districts. Tours are given on the first Saturday of each month from 10am to noon. Reservations are recommended but not required. Call the Gilroy Museum at (408) 846-0446
Archive materials are available for research by appointment only; please call
and make reservations. Museum resources cannot be removed from the premises, but
photocopies may be made for a nominal charge. Please be aware that older records
and some bound materials cannot be photocopied.
We have compiled trunks filled with duplicate museum artifacts, replicas, and
reproductions along two themes: Kids 1890's and Ohlone Indians. They're
available free of charge to schools and community groups. Call 846-0446
and reserve one for your group today!