Gilroy Historical Museum
The Gilroy Museum is currently closed due to Covid-19. For news and announcements, visit the Gilroy Historical Society's Facebook page. New John Gilroy biography will be available soon.
The Gilroy Museum is housed in the historic 1910 Carnegie Library Building, the result of a $10,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie. The classic revival style building was designed by well-known California architect William H. Weeks and stands on a former tennis court, the gift of local benefactress Caroline A. Hoxett. The Gilroy Public Library opened on July 27, 1910, and remained there until 1975, when it moved to its current location at 6th and Rosanna streets.
In the mid-1950's, the large dirt-floor room in the basement of the Carnegie Library was remodeled as a community room. It was this room that saw the birth of the Gilroy Museum. Armand White, a member of one of Gilroy's pioneer families and a local history buff, began displaying his collections of memorabilia and historical items here in 1958.
A Move to Larger Quarters
In 1963, the City of Gilroy formally established the Gilroy Museum in the basement of the Carnegie Library Building with Mr. White as its first curator. Since the Gilroy Library moved to its larger quarters, the Museum has had use of the entire building for its collection which consists of over 25,000 items relating to the history of Gilroy and the South Santa Clara County area.
Historic Walking Tours
Join members of the Gilroy Historical Society as they guide you on free Walking Tours through Gilroy's historic districts. Tours are given on the 1st Saturday of each month from 10 a.m. to 12 noon. Reservations are recommended but not required. Click on the 2021 Monthly Walking Tour Schedule or call the Gilroy Museum at 408-846-0446 for more information.
Archive materials are available for research by appointment only; please call and make reservations. Museum resources cannot be removed from the premises, but photocopies may be made for a nominal charge. Please be aware that older records and some bound materials cannot be photocopied.
We have compiled trunks filled with duplicate museum artifacts, replicas, and reproductions along two themes:
- 1890s Kids
- Ohlone Indians
Traveling Trunks are available free of charge to schools and community groups. Call 408-846-0446 and reserve one for your group today!